Time to Devour Something Sweet & Sour
We are truly in the heart of winter, which means CMO (comfort food only). It's only fitting for the lifestyle we've lived so well since the dawn of COVID nearly 365 days ago.
Do you need examples? For one, we've forgotten how to wear anything other than polyester fitness attire and cozy cotton sweats. We've easily binge watched more than 10,000 minutes of Netflix entertainment (shout out to The Crown) under the comfort of heated blankets (another shout out to Brad's mom). We've learned to make the perfect Old Fashioned and have eaten more baked goods than any dietitian would recommend simply because Instagram decided that making banana bread was cool.
And if you follow our Instagram, you know we've diligently supported our beloved Denver eateries (mainly an excuse to eat like gods with or without leaving our couch). But we've also enjoyed crafting incredibly homey recipes within the comfort of our own kitchens, namely this hearty chili and Moroccan chicken and tofu bowls. And that's not about to stop just because we've entered February! In fact, next on our list takes us to the ultimate comfort cuisine: Chinese food.
Find solace in our nutritious vegan and omnivore rendition of a Sweet & Sour Chicken -- easy to make, and even easier to devour!
2 tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium)
1 tablespoon vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pound organic boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1- inch cubes
1 bag of Daring plant based chicken
2 cups chopped broccoli
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 green onion
1 can of unsweetened pineapple chunks
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
2 cups steamed black rice
1. First, start off by making the sweet and sour sauce by combining soy sauce, vegetable broth,
olive oil, honey, vinegar, ketchup, sea salt, garlic powder, and ground ginger into a sauce pan.
2. Bring to a boil then let simmer for 15 minutes. I would recommend stirring occasionally.
3. Cook the black rice for 45 minutes. We use a rice cooker, but if you prefer stove top, use that!
4. Take cubed chicken/ plant based chicken and cook separately with salt and pepper.
5. Chop all of the broccoli and sauteed with some salt and pepper
6. Mix in protein with sauce and serve over black rice. Add in pineapple chunks and green onion on top :)